Mercurial can have problems with handling non ASCII letters in file names, comments etc. when it across different platforms (Windows, Unix, MacOSX). I have even experienced the problem within different versions of Windows.
The problem: File names containg e.g. æøå is renamed to Ã¦Ã¸Ã¥…
This solution worked for me. I use TortoiseHG which is installed in c:\program files (x86)\TortoiseHG.
- Create a folder called extensions in c:\program files (x86)\TortoiseHG
- Extract the content of the following file to the extensions folder (hg-fixutf8 or access the files here https://bitbucket.org/stefanrusek/hg-fixutf8)
- You should now have a path to the following file: c:\Program Files (x86)\TortoiseHg\extensions\hg-fixutf8\fixutf8.py
- Open C:\Users\[Username]\mercurial.ini in Notepad or another text editor
- Add the following extension so your mercurial.ini looks something like this
# Generated by TortoiseHg setting dialog [ui] username = [YOUR USERNAME] [extensions] fixutf8 = C:\Program Files (x86)\TortoiseHg\extensions\hg-fixutf8\fixutf8.py
With that in place, the first time you update your working copy file names will be corrected. If you already have updated your working copy, then do a clean update.